Sharing my hard work in learning about, brewing and even drinking beer.

I am a beer nerd, homebrewer and hopefully future beer competion judge. I am working my way through sampling, learning about and hopefully brewing all eighty current BJCP beer styles. It's hard work, but somebody has to do it.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Introduction

I like beer. I really like beer. I like reading about beer, brewing beer, and sometimes even drinking it. Paradoxically, the more that I learn about beer, the more that I realize that I don't know. So, after getting "Brewing Classic Styles" out of the library I decided that I want to sample, learn about, and eventually brew all eighty of the current BJCP styles/substyles with the main goal of becoming a certified BJCP judge some day. While a self-professed beer nerd, I couldn't tell you the difference between a bock and a dopplebock. To resolve this unfortunate dilemma I am subjecting myself to a grueling regimen of beer tasting and brewing. Picture a Rocky montage crossed with Beerfest. Along the way, I will also explore the wondrous topics of pairing beer with food (woe is me), experimenting with hops, and other beer-related fun.

Since I'm a big nerd in most areas, even ones that don't involve beer, I made a spreadsheet to keep track of all the beers that I've tried. You can follow along here, or if you like it, you can download the template here. If somebody wants to take the template and prettify it, it would be most appreciated. I'm a nuts-and-bolts kind of guy, not so much with the design.

Disclaimer: In case you have not picked up on this yet, I do not claim in any way to be any sort of expert. In fact I do not even claim to know anything about anything. This is a learning process, and I hope that you will enjoy learning along with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment